#BYOD4L Starts today! How does it feel?

Mobile



What is BYOD4L ? 


BYOD4L (Bring Your Own Device for Learning) is a bite-size facilitated open course offered over 5 days for educators and students  in HE but also anybody else who would like to learn with us as to how we can utilise our digital devices for professional, lifelong and lifewide learning..  It's run and facilitated by a group of committed individuals. You can dip in and out of any of the topics over the next five days: Some might describe it as mini MOOC, but I won't. You can also earn badges for your participation. This really does sound like a 21st century learning experience and open collaboration in action. Get involved.


The facilitators for #BYOD4L 2017 are Neil Withnell, University of Salford @neilwithnell, Alex Spiers, University of Liverpool  @alexgspiers, Sheila MacNeill, Glasgow Caledonian University @sheilmc

If you'd like to find out more about #BYOD4L watch our presentation at the ALT Online Winter Conference 2016




When is it?

The course is running from Monday 16th January for 5 days. Tweetchats each night at 8pm-9pm (UK time) Use #BYOD4LCHAT and get involved! For more information visit the website.

What's happening at the University of Liverpool?

We have organised a range of face to face events during the week to compliment what is going on online during BYOD4L week and the second week of our Winter School.


  • Monday 16th Jan – An introduction to Twitter (2 – 4pm)
  • Tuesday 17th Jan – GoMobile user group meeting (1 – 3pm)
  • Wednesday 18th Jan – e-submission and e-marking workshops
  • An Introduction To Electronic Submission Of Coursework (9:30 – 11am)
  • The Turnitin Assignment Tool For e-submission (Part 1) And GradeMark For Feedback (Part 2) (12 – 2pm)
  • The Blackboard Assignment Tool For e-submission (Part 1) And Feedback (Part 2) (2:30 – 4pm)
  • Thursday 19th Jan – Student as co-creators (11am – 1pm)
  • Friday 20th Jan – Getting more out of Twitter -Tools, tips & tricks (2 – 4pm)

Why are you doing this?




What do I hope to get out it?


Here are some of my reason why being involved in this project is a good thing:
  • Learn from participants and colleagues about enhancing teaching and learning using mobile devices.
  • I've run the University of Liverpool Mobile Go Mobile group which focuses on Mobile apps and devices used by staff and students in the university. So I hope to share a little of my experience
  • Extend my online courses facilitation skills. Co-organising a tweetchat for the second year will help me develop a wide range of skills such as effective communication and organisation of teams. I'll also be using Periscope to broadcast reflections after each tweetchat. 
  • We can't know all the apps, all the devices and all the operating systems - sharing our knowledge is the key way to navigate this fast moving environment
  • I get the opportunity to learn with a great team in a new and exciting way
  • No doubt I'll find new apps and new ways to use my devices to support me and others. I always do.
  • It will force me to blog (I'm not the most prolific), but may also encourage me to record my thoughts in more creative ways. Beware!
  • I will earn badges from my participation
  • And of course it always provides that little ray of light in the deep dark winter. 
How does it feel?

It's Blue Monday. No not the innovative electro pop of New Order, but rather the day of year which is believed to be the most depressing time of the year. When we look around the political landscape there are certainly many things to be blue about. So spending some time doing something that is positive, that connects disparate people to share and help each other, seems more vital than ever. Also its important to wrestle Twitter back from the negative trolling and broadcast mode exemplified by Trump. My colleague Sheila McNeil nails it in this blog post. So I'm feeling energised in spite of the time of year. I hope you are too.


Get involved, Get active and Get online 

Comments